We Moved! WE MOVED

Metal-is.com Interview, Shut Up When Im Talking To You

Friday, February 11, 2005

Metal- is.com
Shut Up When I'm Talking To You! (Parts 1&2)

January 2001

The words 'meteoric rise to success' barely do justice to the way that Linkin Park have exploded onto the metal scene. Their debut album, 'Hybrid Theory' (the earlier name of the band), gave the lie to the music industry tradition that it's a bad idea to release a record in the months coming up to Christmas by selling by the truckload after becoming available last October and already achieving platinum status. Metal-is met the band the day after their triumphant London showcase gig, when, truth to tell, they were not at their perkiest. Guitarist Brad Delson and Joe Hahn (turntables) were engaged in interviews elsewhere, but a hectic week of promotion in Europe has obviously left its mark. Vocalist Chester Bennington (the joker), resplendent in a heavily spiked dog collar, sprawls horizontally across an armchair in their interview suite, babbling manically from a combination of high spirits and exhaustion. Meanwhile, his fellow frontman Mike Shinoda (the diplomat) is starting to draw a flow chart to explain how the band first got together, so he wouldn't have to recap the story yet again for the seemingly never-ending stream of journalists who kept changing every half-hour. In contrast to this noisier pair, drummer Rob Bordon (the quiet one) remains polite and smiley. Valerie Potter tried to introduce a note of sanity into the proceedings.

Metal-is:
Have you been doing these showcase gigs all round Europe?
Chester:
This is our last stop. We've only been out for a week, but we did Paris and Hamburg and last night.
Mike:
It's been pretty gruelling. The day of Germany, we were up at four in the morning and didn't go to sleep 'til midnight. We did something all day.
C:
Yeah, they paired us up and every half-hour, from the moment we arrived at the hotel 'til we actually performed, each pair did interviews.
M:
We probably did 20 to 30 interviews
C:
and at the venue after soundcheck, we did four photo shoots, one after another
M:
It was like a photo shoot buffet!
C:
and then they actually did schedule dinner, which was a new concept, so we got to eat that day!
Metal-is:
With all the press attention you've been getting, are you starting to feel burnt yet?
M:
Only today. (laughs)
C:
We're not burnt on actually doing the press, we're just burnt physically, mainly specifically over here because of the time difference. Right now, in home, it's got eight o'clock in the morning, which is a time of the day which doesn't exist to me, and basically, we're awake every night and then almost every part of the day, every day. Our bodies are telling us this is afternoon and we can't sleep for eight hours right now, so we only get nap type of sleep, which isn't full deep sleep, so you wake up and you're (sits bolt upright) wired to go for like an hour and two, and then you're twice as tired as you were before.
Metal-is:
At what point did you realise that Linkin Park were becoming very successful and you were about to be rich and famous?
C:
Um - it hasn't happened yet. We don't really feel famous, because nobody recognises us - and we don't have any money. Probably when we can't go out into public and our bank accounts are full, we'll realise it.
M:
You know what though? That's not entirely true, because of my stupid hair, so I'm halfway there. I got stopped during the holiday time at the mall when I was shopping for my parents and stuff. I went home and I thought that that was really cool for a bit and then I realised it's the type of thing that, if it happens on the wrong day, it could kind of get under your skin and I see why some people get all mad and whatever, but for real, you've got to suck it up. Those are important people, you know. For example, one kid came up to me who was one of our oldest fans and that day, he was wearing one of our old Hybrid Theory t-shirts from a year and a half ago. He was like, "I have a fan website and I was one of your contest winners", so he's like a huge fan and that's just awesome. I mean, how could you be over that? That's always exciting.
C:
You know what's absolutely cool about that website competition? One of my good friends actually won free tickets for developing a website. We didn't judge it and I didn't know until he actually showed at the Celebrity Theater. I said, "Did you guys have to buy tickets? Why didn't you call?" and he said, "No, dude, I won free tickets for life for Phoenix (or whatever city he lives in) until you guys don't perform any more" and I'm like, "No way!" I don't even get on the Internet any more, I don't mess around with computers.
M:
I'm the opposite. Rob and I are both really, really bad.
C:
I'm sending him to Computers Anonymous!
M:
We do want everyone to know that our home on the web is http://www.linkinpark.com/ and if you want to check out the fan websites, they'll be on there. We're going to be redoing our whole site, and that's going to be awesome. We're putting up new graphics and new things to entertain kids who go to the site
C:
Yeah, we were thinking about adding these games called 'On The Rack', where you can rip people apart, and another one called 'Bash A Boy Band'. It's going to be really cool. It's totally original, it's never been done before!
Metal-is:
Be careful - our lawyers are watching
M:
Yeah, you're gonna be able to grab Brad by his bracelets and rip his arm off! You see, I only got one arm of bracelets, so you can only drag me in one direction, but you could pull him apart!
C:
And my character, you can flip my necklace inside out and crank the necklace until my head pops!
M:
Is it only boy bands and stuff on that thing?
Metal-is:
At the moment, yeah, but if you e-mail us, we'll take your suggestions on board
C:
Everybody thinks we're a boy band!
Metal-is:
Yeah, where does this come from? I never mistook you for a boy band
C:
We're sooo boy bandish, aren't we?
M:
Here's the thing: we didn't really hear about that until we left the US. In the US, I think I heard a rumour through my brother that somebody started back East, but for the most part, nobody has even heard that before. Maybe it's the fact we've never been out here before and the lack of communication between fans and ourselves made that happen, but almost every interviewer has asked something about this boy band thing, and it's freaking ridiculous, it's so silly!
C:
I think it's because of my strikingly good looks.
M:
I think it's because of your strikingly bad looks.
Metal-is:
OK, according to the boy band rumour, you were put together and manufactured by a management company. But you all met at school, didn't you?
M:
Most of us met a long time ago. Brad and I met in junior high and we met Rob in high school, we met Joe in college
C:
and they made me in college in a chemistry class. They copied Frankenstein's work and used pieces of dead people, which is why I have to wear this (touches his spiked collar), to hide the scar tissue.
M:
except we were in art school. That was the whole problem. In art school, and there were no really good chemistry classes - so look what we came up with!
Metal-is:
So where did it all go wrong? What made you decide to leave art school to form a band?
M:
I actually didn't leave. Joe left before the band and did some stuff in film and I stayed in school. It's funny, because I almost wanted to leave, because things were going so fast for the band, and they were so hectic, as far as showcasing for labels and getting in touch with important people. I had to do my eighth term finals the same weekend we did a showcase for about six record labels. I didn't get any sleep for like two weeks just out of nervousness!
Metal-is:
Like you said, things happened really fast for this band and are continuing to happen really fast. Do you ever think there is a danger that it's all happening for Linkin Park too quickly?
C:
The only danger I think of having too much success too fast is the fear of it going to any of our heads, which fortunately isn't happening, because we pretty much aren't focusing on that, we're focusing on playing shows and making sure that we keep performing better and better. That's all we care about. We're not dwelling on the fact that we've sold this many records, because that doesn't really mean anything. We're just happy to be playing. Plus there's only room for one asshole in the band, and that's me!
Metal-is:
Well, it's great to have a million-selling album - but then you have to follow it up
M:
We're just starting the first one, so when we get there, we'll worry about that!
C:
It's only been two months!
M:
Besides that, we know that we're going to do a 150 hour jam session on the second album, so it won't be able to compete with the first one, because it will be so entirely different, you won't be able to compare it.
C:
And we're actually going to change the name again to the Ambient Guitar Tapping Group. Brad won't actually be playing, he'll just be tapping the body of the guitar, so the pick-ups pick up the vibration of the strings and it'll be like "Mmmmmmmm…."
M:
For 150 hours! And we'll release it in 150 hour long CDs. And you'll have to buy all of them to get the full piece.
Metal-is:
You know, I don't think I should print this, in case Pearl Jam see it
C:
Waaaaagh! (Narrowly misses taking metal-is' journalist's eye out with his spiked collar as he jumps up and hugs her!)
M:
Oh, that's no dig on Pearl Jam!
C:
Oh, you're my favourite person - and I didn't mean to turn you into a shish kebab!
Metal-is:
I take it you haven't had time to write any new songs lately?
M:
In all reality, we're just trying to concentrate on this one, but we've thrown out a couple of things. Right now, we're working on a song with the Dust Brothers and we're hoping that it goes on their album, but we'll see. When we write, we write by recording, we don't jam or anything, which means we have to record somewhere loudly. In the past, the place that we found was easiest to record in was my room. My walls are about three inches thick and my neighbours must have thought people were dying in my house! The whole neighbourhood could hear it!
C:
And you'd hear someone go, "You fucking SUCK! Shut up!"
M:
I think we were subliminally influenced for the bridge on 'One Step Closer' by my neighbours; "SHUT UP! I'M TRYING TO SLEEP!"
C:
At ten o'clock every night, we'd hear (he bangs his fist against the wall) and that was our alarm, so we almost ended up naming the band 'Ten PM Stocker', 'cause we recorded on Stocker Street every night and at 10 PM, we had to stop.
Metal-is:
You know, when I saw you live last night, I was kind of surprised by the hip-hop element in the band, because I'd previously thought of you as primarily a rock band. But when I got home and listened to the CD again, of course, it was there all along. Which is more important to you: rap or rock?
C:
That's cool, that that's something that happened to you, because our idea right from the beginning has been to combine all these different styles to make them very fluid, so that you don't necessarily hear the 'hip-hop part' or the 'rock part' or the 'electronica part'. You should hear the record and go, "Oh, this is a good record", instead of going "Oh, this is a really good rap-rock hybrid type of whatever." If you come and see us live and that strikes you, then it means we've done a good job with that, and that makes me happy.
M:
We fooled you! Ha ha ha! You know what I hope happens? That that happens to somebody who doesn't usually listen to hip-hop or rock or electronic. I hope that they can listen to our album and find some of those things in it that they like about those other forms of music, because it's nice to get other people in the club, to get people coming to the show that aren't familiar with some of the things that we're familiar with, and to introduce them to them.
C:
There's been a lot of people, specially in the past, that are very jaded. Like if you were a guy in the crowd that pretty much listened to Slayer or Metallica and you showed up with thumping Jay-Zee in your car, you'd probably get some flak from your friends, you know what I mean? We're trying to be like the bridge between the gaps of all of these different things.


Part 2


Metal-is:
You know, Hybrid Theory is a perfectly good name for a band. Why did you change it to Linkin Park?

Mike (M): It was a legal thing, but in retrospect, I think we're glad we did. (rapidly) For one reason, because Hybrid Theory is a very descriptive name and it almost says, "This is what the band's about", whereas Linkin Park does not, and Linkin Park is the kind of name that does not define the band - other than the name defining the band

Chester (C): That's a really well thought out answer. Possibly because he's answered that question 500 times in the past week?

M:
I don't know what you're talking about. It's not like the pace of my words picked up threefold! I just thought I'd spit that one out real fast!

C:
Dude

M:
You need to get a little clamp for that bracelet, so you don't have to pick it up every time you want to reach down! (Chester starts hitting him.) I'm not banging on you, bro, I just used to have the same problem!

C:
It's art, dude, OK?! I'm not into image, it's fucking art!

M:
Art? Whatever!

Metal-is:
With all the metal that you wear about your person, do you have problems when you go through airports?

M:
You have no idea! Brad's pants are down around his ankles, 'cause his pants are too big and his belt's all made of metal, Chester has to take off 50 things it's a joke! And the best thing is, he's obsessive compulsive. Tell her about how you arrange your bracelets when you take them off!

C:
No.

M:
I'll tell her about it! Chester takes off his bracelets when he's going through the metal detector at the airport and he has this bag with those of those handles that pulls up, so there's a long hanger and he arranges them on that. He takes them off in the same order every time and puts them in the same places and arranges them perfectly.

C:
I'm disgusting, because I do that with my baggage too. All my bags specifically fit in a certain way really well I can't have disorganised bags! And when I go grocery shopping, I'm the same way; boxed items like detergents have to be separated from the food, and then all cans go together, all meats go together, and therefore it's easier to unload when you get home.

Metal-is:
But surely it's only common sense to separate your detergents from your fresh food, so they don't get tainted with a soapy taste?

C:
Yes, but you see people tossing whatever they grab first into the bag. Not with me. It has to be done a specific way every time.

M:
This is like the most involved answer about produce that I have ever heard in my life!

Metal-is:
Does that mean that your house is also obsessively tidy?

C:
Well, it is, but I don't know, because I've only been there three or four times. I moved into my apartment when I was on tour.

M:
You know what was really a benchmark in my mind on how long we've been on tour? When I got back home, streets were rearranged around my apartment, because they'd done construction work and the actual neighbourhood was different. I could turn right on a street that I could never turn right on before! It was the strangest thing!

Rob (R):
I live on a bus!

M:
Yeah, I live on a bus, that's my home.

C:
Not only that, but I can't sleep anywhere, but the fuckin' bus! I need to buy a bus and park it in front of my house, so that when I go home, at night when I go to bed, I just go to the bed. Or I need to install a half of a bus in my room, with bunks, so I can sleep in it. Not only is touring overglamorised, but the smell is completely under-rated. We got in a tour bus after a certain band had used it and we actually had to take the top of the bus off with a metal-melting machine and air it out, because it smelt like rotting flesh, BO and fromage! I'm not going to name the band

M:
(HED)P.E.!

C:
No, it was not them, but we actually buy air purifiers and put them on every part of the bus.

M:
You wouldn't believe how dangerous it is to drive around with scented candles lit in the bus, but it's necessary.

C:
We actually got smart and bought sticky velcro and put on either side of the candles, so they wouldn't roll around.

Metal-is:
You just mentioned (hed) Planet Earth and you toured the States with them and Papa Roach recently. Was that all young-lads-out-on-the-road type fun?

R:
Yeah, that was a great tour. We actually became really good friends with all those guys.

M:
Except for that damn Coby! He's real mean to us! He has nothing nice to say, and he always makes fun of me and Chester! And BC from (hed) Planet Earth calls us a naughty word! BC kept calling me and Chester 'vaginas'!

C:
You know what else I noticed about BC? I kept seeing him kissing other men! (All laugh uproariously.) He even kissed me on the mouth once; I was like, "Dude, back off!" No, we love all those guys, they're so cool.

Metal-is:
I suppose, with the album taking off so big, at the moment there's no end in sight to the touring you going to be doing in the next year or two

C:
Our record's only been out for two months and we're at stages where some of these bands that we've been playing with, that have been doing this for years, are just now reaching, so we have a feeling that this record is probably going to go on for a while. We are looking forward to playing with bigger bands, more bands that we appreciate, and hopefully, the fact that we are achieving these goals so quickly means that we will be able to play with those artists that we enjoy faster, and it may be more interesting than just and blah, blah, blah!

M:
I think Chester just fell asleep! Yeah, I know what he's saying, I'll summarise! One of the opportunities that comes with having a successful album is being able to meet the bands that you've admired for a while, and that's happened to us. Chester met Scott Weiland for a second and couldn't even say a word to the guy, 'cause he was so star-struck!

C:
I meet a lot of people, dude, and I've never been star-struck, but I met Scott and I was like, "Hi Scott - my name is durrrh" He was like, "Are you alright, dude?" and I was like, "Yeah - I mean, my name's Chester and I think you're great, I just wanted to tell you" I felt like a total schmuck! He was like, "Well, are you in a band or what?" and I was like, "Yeah, I'm in a band called Linkin Park" and he was like, "You just played today, right?" and I went, "Yeah" and he went, "I've heard real cool things about you - good luck!" and I was like, "Nargggh" And I mean, when I met him, I was in the middle of talking to the bass player from Green Day and these bands are like of the same calibre, but talking to the bass player from Green Day, I was totally comfortable - "Yeah, dude, what's up, man? It's cool to meet you!" - and here comes Scott and I'm like, "Urrrgh!" I don't know why - maybe I'm gay!

M:
You probably are! You've always got that couple of people that you grew up admiring, and you've spent too much time thinking about how awesome they are to be able to have a decent conversation with them.

C:
But there's an exact opposite to this story that happened recently, when I met Tommy Lee. He came up to us after we played a pretty big show in California and he was like, "Hey, dude, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Tommy, and you guys have a great record!" and I'm like, "Whoa! Come on, dude, you're not interested in me! I should be kissing your ass, you're like a legend!" And we ended up hanging out and had a couple of drinks together and exchanged phone numbers

R:
They went on a couple of dates

C:
and I think we're getting married! No, he was a very cool guy and seriously, I think we hit it off pretty well, and that was very cool. It's the same kind of level, I admire Tommy Lee just as much, probably, as I do Scott, but for some reason, maybe it was the fact that he approached me, talking to him was a little easier to cope with.

Metal-is:
Do you ever ask any of these people that you meet for advice on how to cope with success or has anyone ever offered it to you unsolicited?

C:
No, we don't talk about music when we're together. We talk about other things, stupid stuff, normal conversation

M:
You know what's important? Talking about normal things when you're on tour, because if you don't stay grounded and don't have some kind of normal life outside of music, then you forget what that's like. I think maybe that's a lesson that hasn't been said, it's something you just kind of learn. All day, all you do is interview and talk about music and then you do a show and then afterwards you talk about music, so when you go and hang out, like when we would hang out with Jared and the guys from (hed), me and Product talk about skating

C:
and tofu versus meat Even when we get home, all our friends are asking the same questions that all the reporters and people from other areas are asking, so you can't even have a normal conversation with your friends any more. So when you get to meet other artists, it's like your opportunity for reality, and you jump at the opportunity to talk about the fuckin' difference between a Twinkie and a Ding-Dong, and which one makes it better!

R:
We're all in the same kind of boat and it becomes like a big family on the road. We have dinner together, we hang out together, our buses are altogether, and it becomes like home.

Metal-is:
I noticed last night after your show, you spent a lot of time signing autographs

C:
We do that every show. I think that is another big, big way to stay grounded and not let it go to your head, because the second you start thinking, 'I don't want to be bothered by those people', it's one of those situations where you start elevating yourself in your mind to being more superior to that other person. We don't ever want to get that way, so we hang out with all of our fans and try to talk to as many of them as we can, whether they're intelligent and intriguing or annoying and stupid, they're all the best, you know what I mean? That's what keeps us going.

M:
(meaningfully) Luckily for us, we don't have any annoying and stupid fans, hey, Chester, wouldn't you say?

C:
I just wanted to show the range of people that are out there. I didn't want to just brag that our fans are all incredibly intelligent and intriguing people!

M:
As for me, I like to go on the message boards and the chat rooms of different websites and fan sites and stuff. I'd say that those kids know a lot more about us than we think they do. They constantly ask these really interesting in-depth questions and they are super-defensive about the band. I've gone in there and thanked people for stuff that they've said about us.

Metal-is:
Finally, do you have any message for anyone who's managed to make it to the end of this extremely long interview?

M:
You are an amazing person for having the patience to read such a long, involved and insane interview about produce and all the silly things that we've talked about. I hope that you've had a great time and I hope that you will come to see the show.

R:
And if you come to the show, make sure you come and talk to us afterwards.

0 comments: