We Moved! WE MOVED

Music Infusion Interview

Friday, February 11, 2005

February 2006


Eric: How did the formation of Fort Minor come about?

Mike: I started thinking about doing this album sometime around our Linkin Park / Jay-Z mash-up album. I was thinking about the hip hop songs I used to make before Linkin Park started, and I wanted to get back to those roots. The thing is, I've learned so much about production, songwriting, and people since then, I knew it would have an influence on the album.

Eric: What was the best part about recording The Rising Tied?

Mike: I had a great time writing the music. I wrote and played pretty much everything on the album, so it feels really close to me. Songs like "Remember The Name" and "Where'd You Go" were great, because the music came together so naturally, and I got to record the songs with friends I hadn't worked with before this album: Styles Of Beyond and Holly Brook.

Eric: Out of all of the people you worked with on the album, who was your favorite to collaborate with?

Mike: Styles Of Beyond-Ryu and Tak-were obviously a lot of fun. After all, they're on about half the album!

Eric: What's your favorite track on the album?

Mike: "Kenji" is one of my favorites. I'm half-Japanese, and the song is about the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II. My family was put in a camp for the duration of the war, and this song is about the racial profiling and racism going on at that time.

Eric: So, the tour just started. How does it feel to be out on the road with Fort Minor? What can fans expect from the shows?

Mike: We have eleven people on stage. It's me, Ryu, Tak, and Cheapshot from Styles Of Beyond, a drummer, three string players, and three backup vocalists. Plus, Eric Bobo from Cypress Hill joins us for some songs, and Holly Brook joins us as well.

Eric: What's the comparison like for you between performing with Fort Minor and performing with Linkin Park?

Mike: It's a lot different. Both are equally fun, but these Fort Minor shows are smaller venues. It's more intimate, and since we have such a big group on stage, the shows just turn into a big party.

Eric: You recently performed "Remember the Name" on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. What was that experience like?

Mike: Jay was really nice. Plus, a lot of people were calling saying they were really impressed. I thought our performance was fine-we do it like that every night! But a lot of people who hadn't seen us play were blown away. I'd say, if you liked that, then come to the show and you'll definitely enjoy it!

Eric: We have a couple traditional questions we like to ask each artist. What are your favorite food, favorite movie, and favorite 80's song?

Mike: Favorite food is sushi, movie is "The Shining," and 80's song is too hard. I listen to a TON of 80's music. Right now, I love Depeche Mode's "Blasphemous Rumors," Pat Benetar's "Love Is A Battlefield," and U2's "Where The Streets Have No Name." 


Eric: If you could travel anywhere in the world, whether it be on tour or just to visit on your own, where would you go?

Mike: Just to visit? Probably Tokyo. It's amazing in every way.

Eric: If you could say one thing that the entire world would hear, what would you say?

Mike: I usually reserve that type of thing for my songs. Listen to the Fort Minor album and you'll hear it, I guess!

Eric: Any last comments?

Mike: I just want to say thanks to all the fans that are supporting the Fort Minor album. I put a lot of work into it, and I'm glad people are really listening and digging into the music and lyrics enough to see all the detail. I go on the fortminor.com message boards and myspace page and talk to people, and we've got a great little community going on. Thanks for making it that way, and spreading the word.

 

0 comments: