We Moved! WE MOVED

Soundslam Collision Course Interview

Friday, February 11, 2005



Linkin Park Establish Charity To Help Tsunami Victims



December 2004

When Jay-Z announced his retirement many people figured that the Jigga Man would be back behind the mic, but who could have thought that he would return, teamed up with Linkin Park? But that’s exactly what is going on, as Jay-Z and Linkin Park have completely re-done Jay-Z’s Black Album, fusing it with Linkin Park joints. SoundSlam.com recently had the chance to pose some questions to Linkin Park’s own emcee, Mike Shinoda. Check out the interview as he talks about working with one of hip hop’s greatest, how the album came together, as well as his own skills as an emcee.

SoundSlam
: How did you link up with Jay-Z?

Mike
: First, MTV called Jay and told him they wanted to do a live mash-up performance. They wanted to know who he would like to do it with. He called us.

SoundSlam
: Who had the idea to do an album together?

Mike
: From the start, we thought we might put this whole thing out, so we documented everything just in case. I wanted to get studio versions of the songs for two reasons: first, to put them out on a CD, and second to get a good idea of how the songs should sound so we could play them perfectly onstage at the Roxy.

SoundSlam
: Did you record any new material with him that you are holding back on right now?

Mike
: Nope, but we did have some fun in the studio with some freestyling. Not on tape—that was the only time the tapes and cameras got turned off. All I have to say is that Jay is one of the best rappers of all time, and if you had been there that night, you’d know why.

SoundSlam
: How did you work out what songs went well together? Did you go by the BPMs(beat per minute), did you go by theme? How did that get sorted out?

Mike
: BPM, theme, key, vibe—all of that played into my decisions of which songs to mix. Our guitarist, Brad, helped me a bit with that part—we usually brainstorm well together. Some were more obvious to me, like Big Pimipin with Papercut. But Numb / Encore was a little more of a stretch. I think that a lot of people won’t realize how hard it was to get the songs to sound right together.

SoundSlam
: Do you have a favorite collabo?

Mike
: My favorite part of doing this project was doing Jay’s first verse on “99 Problems.” I felt crazy suggesting it to him at first, like, “hey, I was thinking you could let me rap your part here.” I had to get my confidence up to suggest that one. But I recorded it, played it for him, and he was feeling it, so we were all good.

SoundSlam
: This will give Linkin Park fans a chance to be exposed a bit more to Jay-Z, do you see a reciprocation happening and Linkin Park gaining some Jay-Z fans?

Mike
: I think so. We saw it happening right in front of our eyes at the show. The fans who were obviously there to see one were cheering for the other. It has been a great experience, especially because I have always been way more of a hip hop person than a rock person. I grew up on hip hop, and to be doing a show like that was definitely a big deal to me.

SoundSlam
: How come so many bands have failed at the rap/rock balance and LP seems to be getting right, especially with the Jay-Z collabo?

Mike
: I know that when it comes to hip hop, we’re just doing what comes naturally to us, and I hope people see that. A lot of people who weren’t as familiar with our stuff didn’t know how much hip hop is in there, and now they’re going back into “Hybrid Theory” and “Meteora” and listening to it, hearing the beats and rhymes for the first time. It’s obviously not conventional hip hop, but it’s there.

SoundSlam
: Were you nervous at all as an emcee performing with Jay-Z? Did you feel you had to step your game up and come correct?

Mike
: Oh yeah! I would have loved to go back into all my lyrics and make them more complex and really step it up, but I thought that would ruin what we were trying to accomplish with the mash-up, so I didn’t. I know what I do with LP is more simple, in order for it to work with the rock element. But I think in the future, I will have to show people that I’m capable of more…I guess we’ll have to see later! I’m working on some things in the studio right now, in fact. But I won’t talk about that yet!

SoundSlam
: Who are some emcees that influenced you coming up?

Mike
: I’ve been rapping since I was in middle school. Most people wouldn’t have guessed it based on what I do for Linkin Park because of the rhyme style on the records is more about the emotion than the technicality. But I was inspired by everyone from KRS to LL to NWA to Rakim. I wasn’t rapping much for a while, and just focused on making beats, but Nas and Biggie’s first albums got me back into it. Soon after that, we started Linkin Park.

SoundSlam
: Is it tough at all working your own style into Linkin Park? What is the song-writing process like for you guys?

Mike
: It’s very complicated. We pretty much operate under the rule that all six of us have to be happy with something in order to put it out. That is a lot of work, but the result is good.

SoundSlam
: Who are some other hip hop artists you would like to, or could see yourself working well with? I know you hooked up with the X-ecutioners, Evidence, and others on the Reanimation album.

Mike
: I’m working with some friends called Styles of Beyond right now. They’re old friends of mine from a while ago. I just did a track for Chali 2na’s solo album, too. In the future, I’d love to work with Common and Black Thought—I just think they’re inspired artists. There is also a lot of talent out here on the west coast that most people don’t know about. I will be trying to be a part of that.

SoundSlam
: How did you get your own shoe? Mike: I wanted to start a college scholarship, so I hooked up with DC and did a shoe that is just coming out right now. 100% of my proceeds go to the scholarship. DC matched that money one-for-one, which doubles it.

SoundSlam
: What’s your secret you being on the grind so much and touring non-stop?

Mike
: I don’t know. I think I need to slow down before I go crazy. But figure that this is all such a huge opportunity. I would have to be stupid to let it slip.

SoundSlam
: How is Mike Shinoda from 96 when you started different than Mike Shinoda now in terms of feelings toward music and being a musician?

Mike
: When the band started about that time, we were just trying to make something that we wanted to hear that nobody else was making. We continue to shoot for that every time we get into the studio. The difference between then and now probably comes from touring around the world: now we have a lot more perspective and understanding of how the world listens to music, and how similar people everywhere really are when it comes to that.

SoundSlam
: Is there going to be a full-scale LP/Jay-Z tour?

Mike
: No way! Good luck to Jay, but we were on tour for two years supporting Meteora, and we need to be at home!

The Jay-Z Linkin Park mash up album is in stores now, check it out and see for yourself.


thanks to lptimes.com

0 comments: